Rhiannon Saunders was appointed a Director of WGC Lawyers in 2018. She works alongside Director John Hayward within the Commercial Litigation team, the Governance and Risk Management team and the Insolvency and Debt Recovery team.
Rhiannon has developed expertise in several practice areas, and she has particular skills and interest in body corporate issues, debt disputes, governance and risk management issues, and insolvency matters.
She achieves results quickly, efficiently and cost-effectively for all her clients, which include bodies corporate, commercial enterprises, financial institutions, government bodies, small businesses, individuals, liquidators and bankruptcy trustees.
Rhiannon keeps up to date with changes in the law by regularly engaging in continuing legal education programs and masterclasses. She also delivers informative in-house presentations to a wide range of audiences, including not-for-profit organisations, individuals and bodies corporate.
Until 2015 she was an active board member of Youth Empowered Towards Independence (“YETI”) and Womens Centre Cairns, and in 2014 she was the Vice-President of Cairns Young Chamber of Commerce Sub-Committee.
Rhiannon is also regularly involved with the corporate sector and participates in the Australian Institute of Management, Cairns Business Women’s Club, the Far North Queensland Law Association and the North Queensland Law Association.
AREAS OF PRACTICE
Body Corporate Disputes
Debt Recovery, including fixed-fee costs for large volumes of debtors
Debt Control, including advice regarding the Personal Property Securities Act 2009 (Cth)
Civil and Commercial Litigation in State and Federal Courts and Tribunals, including:
- Contractual disputes
- Partnership, shareholder and director disputes
- Copyright disputes
- Actions under the Australian Consumer Law
- Enforcement Proceedings
Property Disputes, including:
- Caveat disputes
- Real estate commission disputes
- Residential and commercial tenancy disputes
Governance and Risk Management
Personal Insolvency, including:
- Bankruptcy Notices
- Creditor’s Petitions
- Advice regarding all aspects of bankruptcy, including voluntary bankruptcy
- Debt Agreements
Corporate Insolvency, including:
- Creditor’s Statutory Demands
- Winding Up applications
- Director Penalty Notices
- Advice regarding all forms of external administration, including liquidation, voluntary administration and receivership
Town agency work
QUALIFICATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS
- Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Queensland, 2010
- Solicitor of the High Court of Australia, 2010
- Bachelor of Laws (Hons), James Cook University, 2009
- Strata Community Association (SCA) Qld, Member (Strata Services Nominee)
- Youth Empowered Towards Independence (“YETI”), Board Member (2009 to 2015)
- Women’s Centre Cairns, Board Member (2013 to 2015)
- Cairns Young Chamber of Commerce Sub-Committee, Vice President (2014)
- Australian Restructuring Insolvency & Turnaround Association, Professional Member
- Queensland Law Society, Member
- Far North Queensland Law Association, Member
- North Queensland Law Association, Member
- Cairns Business Women’s Club, Member